Awards and Recognitions
Here are some of the many awards and recognitions of the amazing Finger Lakes area.
- The Finger Lakes region was named the top lakeside retreat in the world by Shermans Travel in 2009.
- Owego in Tioga County was named “America’s Coolest Small Town” by Budget Travel Magazine.
- Rochester in Monroe County was picked as one of the 50 Best Cities to Bike by the Bicycling Magazine in 2010.
- Since 2001, Ithaca has made the “Best Cities” lists of some 30 national publications.
Partners & Area Attractions
- Holiday Inn Elmira & Horseheads received the Community Service award.
- Los Gatos Bed & Breakfast was selected as one of the “Best of the Mid-Atlantic” in the annual Best of BedandBreakfast.com Awards, 2008-2009.
- For 17 years, Muranda Cheese House has earned a Dairy of Distinction award for its Holstein herd.
- Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel won the Good Earthkeeping title.
Food, Wine, & Spirits
- A Riesling from Anthony Road Wine Co. was voted best wine in the 2009 annual NY Wine & Food Classic competition.
- The 2008 Riesling from Anthony Road Wine Co. won Governor’s Cup silver chalice at the New York Wine & Food Classic.
- Abigail’s Restaurant’s own Chef Marshall Grady won “World’s Best Buffalo Chicken Wing” award from The Great Chicken Wing Hunt in 2007.
- Casa Larga Vineyard’s Vidal Blanc Ice Wine won a double gold medal and Best Dessert wine in the 2010 NY State Fair Competition.
- Casa Larga has won two major international competitions this year and numerous other awards for their ice wines.
- Casa Larga won 7 medals in total in the NY State Fair competition with Chardonnay NV, Riesling and Lilac Hill NV 2008 all garnering Silver.
- Casa Larga Vineyards was awarded Best of Show and Gold Medal Honors in the first ever NY Ice Wine competition.
- Dr. Konstantin Frank receives 46 Gold Medals for wine & champagne in 2007.
- The 2007 Ingle Vineyard Riesling won “Best Riesling” at the 2010 Los Angeles International Wine & Spirits Competition
- Sheldrake Point Vineyard was named winery of the year 2009 in the annual NY Wine & Food Classic competition in 2009 and “Top 100 Winery of the Year” and “Top 12 American Value Brand” wine by Wine & Spirits magazine.
- Swedish Hill won the “Governor’s Cup” trophy and the “Winery of the Year” award at the 2008 New York Wine & Food Classic competition.
- The Specialty wine champion award of 2009 was presented to Montezuma Winery for their Cranberry Bog.
- Allen Fusco, District Director of the Holiday Inn Elmira Riverview and the Holiday Inn Express Elmira/Horseheads was the recipient of the New York State Hospitality & Tourism Association’s (NYSH&TA) Pinnacle Award.
- Bruce Nelson of Nelson Development, and the Montour House Renovation, was named Business Person of the Year.
- Heather Marshall of EconoLodge Ithaca was named Outstanding Manager/Supervisor.
- Marc and Dawn Schulz, Cascade Grill, Moravia, and Cheryl Barber, 10 Fitch B&B, Auburn, were presented with this year’s Tourism Recognition Awards.
- Peggy Scott was given the Community Service Award for her commitment and dedication with the Seneca Santa project and the United Way Campaign.
- Schamel Brothers (Michael & Guy) were awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award, for business accomplishments that include but aren’t limited to Schamel Brother’s Contractors, Village Marina, and Village Marina Bar and Grill.
- Tracey Kegebein of Syracuse CVB won the state's Tourism Executive of the Year title.
Come and see for yourself what the Finger Lakes has to offer!