Break Out of the Mold This Spring in the Finger Lakes -- March 2014
Markets and Agricultural Opportunities in the Finger Lakes
Though it’s still chilly here in the Finger Lakes, the Ides of March have passed and we’re beginning to thaw out and see early signs of spring. Trees are slowly dimpling with buds, the sun is shining for more hours throughout the day, and what used to be large piles of snow and ice is now melting into our beautiful, glimmering lakes. As spring embraces us encourage outdoor exploration of these amazing markets and farms in the Finger Lakes region:
- Finger Lakes Cheese Trail: Have you ever wanted to pet a baby goat, find the perfect cheese to pair with that Finger Lakes wine you found along the Wine Trail, or wondered how that creamy goodness is actually made? Visit one of the farms along the Finger Lakes Cheese Trail and educate yourself on cheese, sample the deliciousness, and take some home to find the perfect pairing.
- Joseph’s Wayside Market: Do you smell that? Is it grapes? Is it pies? Is it a delicious combination of both?! Joseph’s Wayside Market is and outdoor/indoor market offering the freshest produce, baked goods (like those grape pies I mentioned earlier!) jams, jellies and a wide assortment of crafts all in the quaint village of Naples.
- Red Jacket Orchards: Delicious fruit juices know no limits at Red Jacket Orchards. Recognized by the NY Times and Gourmet Magazine, this Finger Lakes regional gem is located on the outskirts of the city limits of Geneva. Have you ever tried cherry juice? It’s delicious and you can get it and so much more at Red Jacket.
- Windmill Farm & Craft Market: The Windmill Farm and Craft Market, an outdoor/indoor farmer’s market, agricultural emporium, craft and vendor market is open the last Saturday in April through the second Saturday in December. With lots of Amish influence, the Windmill is any market enthusiast’s delight for hours of exploration!
- Ithaca Farmer’s Market: The Ithaca’s Farmers Market is an owner-operated cooperative market with over 160 members who grow or produce their wares within 30 miles of the Ithaca area. You’ll find a full spread at the market with something for everyone! With several locations throughout the season, you can pop in and make the most of your Ithaca Farmer’s Market shopping experience.
“When I Get Married I Want to Be Very Married” – Audrey Hepburn
The first official day of spring has arrived and with birds chirping, now is the perfect time to start planning if you have that special day and special someone for upcoming nuptials. Weddings have the perfect setting in the Finger Lakes, with green grass, rolling hills, and the smell of vineyards and grapes in the air, or even a hop smell for that perfect microbrew too! As you make your way to ‘I Do’ consider some of these Finger Lakes businesses and the ones below to help make your perfect day even more special.
- Crystal City Wedding Planners: Crystal City Wedding and Party Center is an event company that can help you plan, coordinate, and decorate your wedding to ensure the “Ahh” factor! Crystal City can help with catering, supplies, specialty linen, tents, lighting, party supplies and everything in between.
- Special Event Network: The Special Event Network is a network of wedding and event professionals that are there to help no matter what type of event you are planning. The Special Event Network also hosts and AMAZING Finger Lakes Platinum Bridal Expos putting everything you need for your special day right at your fingertips.
- Finger Lakes Images: An image can capture a thousand words right? Specializing in outdoor photography, Finger Lakes images will capture all the moments words can’t say.
- Finger Lakes Photography: Looking for a photographic momento of your time in the Finger Lakes? John Francis McCarthy will have just what you’re looking for.
- Aurora Inn Dining Room: In the quant city of Aurora, the Aurora Inn brings picturesque charm, beautiful views of Cayuga Lake, on site accommodations, and dining spread you and your guests will savor.
- Beachcomber of Conesus Lake: You and your guests can enjoy two atmospheres in one location! Outdoor and indoor seating and arrangements make the beachcomber a fun way to celebrate a union and “I Do”. As a family friendly location, you and your guests will have fun all day and evening!
- Casa Larga Vineyards: Rochester’s gateway to the Finger Lakes! Casa Larga’s Italian setting, beautiful and charming banquet hall, and award winning wines will make you wish the day will never end.
- Murra Bella Italian Steakhouse: When looking for authentic, heartwarming meals join the team at Murra Bella. The centerpiece at Murra Bells is the natural waterfall that runs through the dining room and is an amazing natural addition to your culinary experience.
- Joyful Adornments: Favors for your guests become unique like snowflakes, no one is the same as another, with a bead from Joyful Adornments Glass Studio. Watch local artists transform molten glass into beads and buttons.
- Handwork – Ithaca’s Cooperative Craft Store: With a gift from Handwork, the guests of your special day will enjoy a piece of art sourced from over forty local artists and craftspeople from an assortment of medias to find the perfect fit for everyone.
The Cayuga Lake Wine Trail’s, 22nd Annual Wine & Herb Festival
April 25-27 http://cayugawinetrail.com/events/130/22nd-annual-wine-herb-festival-april-25-27
or May 2-4 http://cayugawinetrail.com/events/131/22nd-annual-wine-herb-festival-may-2-4
Saturday & Sunday 10:00AM-6:00PM
Join us for our annual Wine & Herb Festival and smell the fragrant scents of the perfect herbal garden. Here you’ll receive a potted herb or veggie plant from each winery plus recipe cards as you savor herb or veggie prepared delicacies while sipping fine wines from your Wine & Herb souvenir wine glass.
Participants are eligible to win one of our Grand Prizes seven in all.
Advance: Single ticket, $40.00, Couple ticket, $60.00 plus handling fee and sales tax.
Designated Driver Tickets are available. To purchase tickets order online at www.cayugawinetrail.com , call at 800-684-5217 or purchase at any area Wegmans.
Events, Theater and Art
There is so much available in the Finger Lakes for art, theater and events you could spend days exploring and discovering what is available to you. Since the performance, visual and musical arts have deep ties in the Finger Lakes region, here are some entertainment hubs you won’t want to miss this tourism season:
- Central New York Maple Festival: A celebration of New York’s pride, MAPLE products! Enjoy an all you can eat pancake breakfast, craft show, train ride, sugar shack and much more!
- East Hill Gallery at the Rochester Folk Art Guild: Visitors to the East Hill Gallery and Rochester Folk Art Guild will find workshops, summer concerts, festivals, education galore and a wide variety of hand crafted pottery, woodworking, clothing, toys and more for your inner artist.
- Finger Lakes Fiber Festival: Quilters, knitters, sewers, and weavers beware. The Finger Lakes Fiber Festival will draw you in like a month to the flame with a festival devoted to the fiber arts!
- Tag’s: A multifaceted Entertainment Facility offering concerts, festivals, and seasonal fun like a Halloween themed Haunted Attraction. Tag’s hosts a full service restaurant, banquet facility, Upper Deck, and Outdoor Pavilion for the entertainment venue that can host it all.
- Clemen’s Center: Located in the Southern Tier of the Finger Lakes, the Clemens Center is the region’s premier performing arts center with Broadway shows, dance programs, rock concerts, and something for audiences of all ages.
- Old Havana Courthouse Theater: In the heart of Montour Falls the Old Havana Courthouse Theater is a restored courthouse where you can take in melodrama theater for a fun weekend show!
An Experience You Won’t Forget and Save While You Do It
The Finger Lakes has so many unique shops, wineries, museums and accommodations that you’ll want to explore it all right? The region is a great value for your visitor dollar, making it quite the steal and best kept local secret. Amazing business owners and managers here in the Finger Lakes want to make sure that you can continue to see deals and steals that will only encourage you to extend your visit to the Finger Lakes a little longer. Area businesses are always featuring fun Packages to offer great deals by pairing up with other area businesses. Coupons are always being updated and added to FingerLakes.org’s Coupon Page. Let the savings and great times in the Finger Lakes commence!