Hot Temperatures, Cool Lakes, Plan Your Finger Lakes Vacation Now -- May 2014
IT'S HERE! ORDER YOUR FREE COPY OF THE 2014 FINGER LAKES REGIONAL TRAVEL GUIDE TODAY BEFORE THEY'RE GONE! Click here
From Lake to Shining Lake
Escaping to the Finger Lakes means you get out of the cubicle, workspace, and getting outdoors to relax instead right? Locals and visitors can explore this amazing natural playground on land through the numerous different hiking trails, by water through a canoe, kayak, or SUP (stand up paddleboard), or even by air in the Soaring Capital of America in Elmira. Check out these outdoor beauties available for your next vacation:
- Liberty Balloon Company: Get a bird's eye view of the Finger Lakes through the silent flight of a hot air balloon ride. Let the world be your guide, quite literally as your balloon carries you wherever the wind blows.
- Fuzzy Guppies: Canoes, kayaks, SUP's and a human water hamster ball, OH MY! Take a paddle along the Seneca-Erie canal at Fuzzy Guppies where you'll find human powered watercrafts galore. The perfect outdoor pastime with a refreshing splash of cool water for those warmer early summer days.
- Route 96 Power & Paddle Outdoor Products: If you're coming in to the Finger Lakes from NYC or the Route 15 corridor don't miss a stop at this outdoor wonder world offering kayaks and everything your outdoor heart desires.
- Painted Bar Stables: Explore the Finger Lakes countryside by horseback with Erika at Painted Bar Stables. Erica offers lessons, cowboy crash courses where guests can become a genuine cowboy after a couple of classes, and get back to nature with Western roots.
- Sonnenberg Gardens: Relax and take a stroll through the gardens in Canandaigua. Take in an afternoon tea, sample Finger Lakes wines at the onsite Wine Center, and enjoy the fruits of the gardens around you.
Farm Market Season and the Time for Being Outdoors is Here
The sun is shyly peeking out from behind the clouds and the thermostat reads temperatures that are creeping higher and higher by the day. Lakes are brimming with water and vineyards have buds popping ready to bring on juicy grapes. As summertime gets in to full swing, now's the time to get out while the weather is nice and explore the abundance that the Finger Lakes has to offer:
- Ithaca Farmer's Market: The Ithaca's Farmers Market is an owner-operated cooperative market with over 160 members who grow or produce their wares within 30 miles of the Ithaca area. You'll find a full spread at the market with something for everyone! With several locations throughout the season, you can pop in and make the most of your Ithaca Farmer's Market shopping experience.
- Joseph's Wayside Market: Do you smell that? Is it grapes? Is it pies? Is it a delicious combination of both?! Joseph's Wayside Market is and outdoor/indoor market offering the freshest produce, baked goods (like those grape pies I mentioned earlier!) jams, jellies and a wide assortment of crafts all in the quaint village of Naples.
- Red Jacket Orchards: Delicious fruit juices know no limits at Red Jacket Orchards. Recognized by the NY Times and Gourmet Magazine, this Finger Lakes regional gem is located on the outskirts of the city limits of Geneva. Have you ever tried cherry juice? It's delicious and you can get it and so much more at Red Jacket.
- Windmill Farm & Craft Market: The Windmill Farm and Craft Market, an outdoor/indoor farmer's market, agricultural emporium, craft and vendor market is open the last Saturday in April through the second Saturday in December. With lots of Amish influence, the Windmill is any market enthusiast's delight for hours of exploration!
- Finger Lakes Cheese Trail: Have you ever wanted to pet a baby goat, find the perfect cheese to pair with that Finger Lakes wine you found along the Wine Trail, or wondered how that creamy goodness is actually made? Visit one of the farms along the Finger Lakes Cheese Trail and educate yourself on cheese, sample the deliciousness, and take some home to find the perfect pairing.
- Strawberry Fields Hydroponic Farm: Love u-pick farms where you can pluck your fruits and vegetables fresh off the vine? Strawberry Fields Hydroponic Farm gives guests the opportunity to pick their own strawberries while granting them the luxury of not having to bend or strain picking having the berries in grow pots elevated off the ground!
Quick and Easy Finger Lakes Reservations for Your Summer Vacation or Weekend Getaway!
When it comes to planning the perfect vacation or getaway, the best experience possible is to find the perfect location on the dates you want, with all the amenities you need. The Finger Lake’s regional website, FingerLakes.org now offers that ease of finding the perfection location with a very simple system, 'Book a Room Now'. The reservation booking tool with 'Book a Room Now', allows you a quick and easy way to search for availability with B&Bs, hotels, vacation rentals and campgrounds across the entire Finger Lakes region
The Book a Room Now system links to hotels, motels, B&B's, and vacation rentals to make sure you can find the accommodation perfect for your stay in the Finger Lakes! Simply look for the 'Book a Room Now' icon on FingerLakes.org, enter the dates of your stay, and voila! Any regional accommodations that have availability during the dates you entered will appear right before your eyes.
To start planning your amazing Finger Lakes vacation, check out this great feature here! If you're looking for more things to do or would like recommendations on 'what the locals do' or things not to miss, the friendly staff at the Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance will be more than happy to send you a Finger Lakes regional travel guide and will be here year round to answer any questions you may have; not to mention help with all your vacation planning needs! Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office today at 315-536-7488.
Father's Day in the Finger Lakes!
Does this sound like something your father might enjoy: a day on the golf course, drinking some fresh, crisp, adult beverages, and the company of the family at a fabulous meal? If you said yes to all of the above, look no further than the Finger Lakes where all of these dreams can come true and even more.
The Finger Lakes is home to the Finger Lakes golf trail where there is sure to be the right course to let Dad have a day of ease putting a perfect game, or challenge his mighty golf game.
Looking for a refreshing brew? Whether Dad is a whiskey drinker, loves a good beer, or enjoys a glass of wine, there's a location that will tantalize the taste buds perfectly.
- Three Brothers Wineries & Estates is the home of War Horse Brewing where you will be able to peruse and sample from one of the three tasting rooms that are themed around the lives of the three unique brothers that story tells, founded the estate. At War Horse Brewing you will have the opportunity to sample the tasty and refreshing Riesling Ale; a brew that was created with a touch of Finger Lakes Riesling. It's a unique beverage you and Dad won't want to miss!
- Climbing Bines Craft Ale Co overlooking Seneca Lake just outside of the town of Penn Yan is where Dad will be able to see his beer and drink it too! Hops are grown on bines, long wires where the hop plants grow vertically, on the front of the property. Once you venture inside, a variety of refreshing and thirst quenching beers are awaiting you ready to be tapped!
- Myers Farm Distillery is a picturesque distillery nestled among the scenic Finger Lakes countryside. With spirited offerings such as flavored vodkas, bourbon, whiskey, and gin, Dad will find himself sipping on something fine in the summertime.
- Finger Lakes Distilling is where you will find a beautiful copper still that you can see steaming from the tasting room and the variety of offerings created within it ranging from gin to whiskey and even liquors. Dad will be sure to have his 'spirits' lifted when making a visit to this unique location.
- Wagner Vineyards hosts a winery on one side of the unique octagon shaped building with scenic views of vineyards and Seneca Lake and on the other side is an estate brewery. The brewery features 8 house made brews ranging from pilsners to their award winning Sled Dog dopplebock.
- Miles Wine Cellars has beers and wines that will haunt your memory in more ways than one! The Greek Revival home of the Miles family has been restored so that guests can sample wines and beer all in one stop. With a rich past and tales of hauntings happening at the home, you may leave with more than acquaintances than you came in with!
Dad have a real hankering for some more beers? The Finger Lakes Beer Trail is the perfect way to meander and explore through the Finger Lakes. It's not just Wine Country anymore! Cheers your way sampling through the Beer Trail.
If you're going to drink local, you need to eat local too right? Be sure to check in with the places to eat page to find the menu that will have Dad salivating.
Looking for something more unique and out of the norm? Check back with the Finger Lakes calendar of events where new submissions for Father's Day events from businesses will continue to roll. This year Father's Day falls on June 17th so plan ahead to create a great day!
Who Doesn't Love a Good Deal?
The Finger Lakes is home to many specialty shops, tons of award winning wineries, unique accommodations, and fabulous festivals. The launch of our coupons page has brought businesses together to offer a unique selection of constantly changing coupons. These business coupons found here, are always changing and making it easier every day to make your trip to the Finger Lakes fun and affordable. FingerLakes.org is jam packed with great trip planning information for visitors and is an excellent resource for locals alike. With great deals on places to stay, Finger Lakes wine deals, and attraction specials make the coupons page a must see page! Check the packages page, coupons page, and special deals and promotions pages frequently to get the most up to date deals and steals!