Palmyra is a town in Wayne County, New York, United States. The population was 7,975 at the 2010 census. The town is named after the ancient city Palmyra in Syria.
The Town of Palmyra, originally called "Swift's Landing" after its founder General John Swift, was created in 1789. The town was also known as "District of Tolland" before adopting its present name in 1796. By 1800, the town's population was about 1000.
The Town of Palmyra is on the south border of the county. The town contains a village also named Palmyra. The town is about 20 miles (32 km) southeast of Rochester, New York.