Job Title: President
Job Classification: Exempt
Reports to: Board of Directors, Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance
The Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance (FLTA) is an association of private- and public-sector attractions; tourism-related businesses and organizations; and county tourism offices working together to enhance and promote the 9,000-square-mile Finger Lakes region as a premier tourist destination. The Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance region, as defined in New York State legislation, includes the 14 counties of Cayuga, Chemung, Cortland, Livingston, Monroe, Onondaga, Ontario, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins, Wayne, and Yates.
The President's role is to develop and implement a comprehensive tourism marketing plan for the FTLA region and administer a cooperative partner program with private and public tourism business stakeholders to financially support the FLTA’s mission. The role requires a person adept at marketing, relationship building, and managing the needs/expectations of multiple stakeholders. The President is expected to provide monthly reports and documents to the Board of Directors (BOD)pertaining to all activities and events. The President also acts as the FLTA liaison to business; government officials; and related regional, state, and national organizations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Hire qualified marketing and support staff as needed.
- Train staff on the policies and operating procedures of the organization.
- Encourage and support staff development to respond to tourism industry trends.
- Conduct annual staff reviews.
- Work with and manage vendors providing services to the FLTA.
- Carry out supervisor responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures, and applicable State and Federal laws.
- Ensure the Personnel Manual is current with State and Federal employment laws.
- Advise the BOD on personnel matters and ensure directors are compliant with State and Federal employment laws.
- Prepare the annual budget for Board approval.
- Manage the Partner Program to ensure timely payments to support the FLTA’s annual budget.
- Monitor the operation of FLTA to ensure that it is run in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Ensure appropriate financial documents are prepared and submitted in compliance with all government tax reporting requirements.
- Maintain the FLTA records, files, and office properties pursuant to FLTA policies and procedures.
- Recommend finance policies and implement as approved by the Board.
- Oversee the preparation of monthly financial reports, including the annual audit requirements.
- Seek out and secure public and private grant opportunities that supplement operating funds to provide additional marketing outlets for FLTA partners. Oversee grant administration process.
- Oversee the bookkeeper and work closely with the Treasurer to ensure fiduciary responsibilities of the organization are in compliance with Bylaws, and New York State and Federal laws.
- Partner Program
- Oversee preparation of the annual Work Program to ensure it provides the services needed by FLTA partners.
- Oversee the marketing plan development and implementation.
- Conduct needs assessments of the tourism industry to ensure FLTA programs are in line with travelers’ expectations.
- Assist with the development of educational opportunities for FLTA partners in cooperation with the Finger Lakes Opportunity for Tourism Growth, Inc. (FLOTG), the 501(c)(3) arm of FLTA.
- Monitor return-on-investment for partners to evaluate the success of FLTA’s programs.
- Operations Responsibilities:
- Prepare monthly President's report to present to the Board of Directors (BOD).
- Develop, maintain and nurture relationships with elected officials at all levels of government.
- Maintain a level of visibility and availability to communities, businesses, and organizations.
- Oversee FLTA and all affiliated brands to ensure compliance with brand identity standards.
- Oversee compliance with Bylaws in collaboration with BOD.
- Work closely with BOD committees to ensure transparency, compliance, and efficiency for operations and finance.
- Work with the BOD Executive Committee to ensure the FLTA is operating in compliance with 501(c)(6) not-for-profit State and Federal laws and procedures.
- If the Finger Lakes Region is designated as a National Heritage Area and FLTA is designated as the overseeing entity, the President (FLTA) in collaboration with the BOD will develop the Finger Lakes NHA advisory group, administration, and operating procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required. Knowledge of the 14-county Finger Lakes region preferred. A strong grant administration/oversight record is preferred. Diplomacy, organization, budgeting, planning, professionalism, and presentation skills are required for this position.
All applicants must have a Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from a four-year college or university relevant to the hospitality, tourism marketing industry, and/or business management. Experience as a liaison to businesses, government officials, and related regional, state, and national organizations would be beneficial. Administration and management experience in a non-profit setting is preferred. Background in communications and/or visitor industry is preferred. Empire State Society of Association Executives, Inc. (ESSAE) Leadership Program Certification or equivalent preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual will need to have an in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, QuickBooks and PowerPoint, and content management software.
Certificates and Licenses:
Valid Driver’s License required
Completed background check required