Syracuse, NY (September 12, 2018) - Next month, some of the best chefs in Upstate New York will add extra protein to their dishes during Chef Challenge Syracuse… but don’t bug out. They will join Los Angeles celebrity chef Aly Moore, of Bugible, to cook with insects during the unique Pop-Up Mystery Meal on Monday, October 8th in Chittenango, NY.
“Our mission is to put the Greater Syracuse Area on the map as a foodie destination,” said Chef Challenge Syracuse’s Josh Rhoades. “Aly’s creative methods and expertise, along with our regional chefs’ talents, will help us do just that. Rest assured, these chefs will show you that bugs don't have to be scary and are often a luxury in other countries.”
Moore, who has been featured in Forbes, Food & Wine, Huffington Post, First We Feast, Travel & Leisure, National Geographic and more, is known for hosting bug dinners, wine pairings and cooking classes to teach about the sustainable and nutritious world of bugs.
- Chance Bear - The Ridge Executive Chef, Previously the Executive Chef of The Lincklaen House. He had the honor of cooking at the James Beard House four times! The equivalent of winning four Oscars in the culinary world.
- Samantha Buyskes - Three Brothers Wineries and Estates and H.J. Stead Company Executive Chef, Previously the Executive Chef of Kindred Fare
- Sarah Hassler - The Stoop Kitchen Executive Chef
Rhoades said there will be wine and the finest local organic ingredients to help guide participants through the evening; including spirulina (a type of blue-green algae) and spent organic brewer grains (a waste product of brewing) - all three being some of the most sustainable proteins in the world.
“We don't ever have to eat insects again, but we do need to reconsider our eating habits - we need to be more conscious of the environmental impact of our food - we're simply starting a conversation in a bold way.”
Seating is limited and reservations are required in advance, as these events typically sell out.
CHEF CHALLENGE SYRACUSE: SUSTAINABLE PROTEINS | A POP-UP MYSTERY MEAL
- Date: Monday, October 8th
- Time: 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Location: The Ridge Golf Club & Tavern, 1281 Salt Springs Road, Chittenango, NY 13037
- Meal: 6-8 courses, wine, 50% with insects, 50% without (blended and "hidden" in the dish)
- $105: Dinner Seat (with plenty of wine)
- $65: Dinner Seat (no wine)
- $110: Two Dinner Seats
- More Info: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/chef-challenge-syracuse-sustainable-proteins-a-pop-up-mystery-meal-the-ridge-tickets-48717695940
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/2135618810044836/